Match Reports‎ > ‎


posted 22 May 2013, 23:47 by Unknown user

Duleek Bellewstown 5-9 Rathkenny 4-6

The U14’s of Duleek Bellewstown overturned a 5 point half time deficit and produced a storming second half to land the Div 3 U14 Shield final in Slane on Wednesday evening.

Playing against the wind in the first half Duleek Bellewstown opened nervously and found themselves 10 points adrift after just 10 minutes as the Rathkenny forwards opened up the defence with every attack and scored 2-4 with their full forward scoring two goals in the opening six minutes.  The defence, with Jamie Crosby, Joe Corduff and Ali Erdogan,. to the fore began to get to grips with the Rathkenny attack and drove the team forward and it was full forward Niall Collins who started the fight back in the 11th minute when he pounced on a loose ball and found the corner of the net with a good low drive.  He then followed that up the 16th minute when he again found the back of the net following a good move down the right wing.  This was followed almost immediately by another goal from Aodhan Gallagher and a point from midfielder Cian Kelly to leave the scores level after 20 minutes. However Rathkenny found their scoring boots again and knocked in 1-2 in  the  last 5 minutes of the first half as the Rathkenny full forward completed his hat trick. Despite conceding those scores the   Duleek Bellewstown defence did well to crowd out and deny the full forward two further goal chances.  

This left the scores at half time Duleek Bellewstown 3-1 Rathkenny 3-6.

Whatever coach Brian Butler said to his players at half time, it had the desired effect and it was a different team to the first half. The nerves were gone and the mood was positive and the play direct.   The forwards had spurned a couple of chances for points before Aodhan Gallagher landed the 4th goal after 3 minutes.  This had the effect of galvanising the whole team and believing that victory could be achieved. A green and gold barrier was put in place from the half way line and with  Ben Lanigan and Jamie O’Leary now getting on top in the full back line every Rathkenny attempt to break beyond the midfield  area was sent back as Duleek Bellewstown were first to every loose or  breaking ball.

With a constant supply from defence and midfield , points from Jamie Crosby, Connor Butler, Joe Corduff, Daire Moore and two from Morgan Browne had the green and gold in front by the 20th minute and the 5th goal came when Daire Moore managed to force home a rebound following a  45 when the Rathkenny rearguard parried the original effort.  Two further points from Cian Kelly and Joe Corduff provided a 9 point cushion with less than 10 minutes remaining. Rathkenny then produced a series of attacks looking for goals which could have given the defence some nervous moments but a goal from a penalty was all that was conceded and when referee Tommy Lorton blew for full time Duleek Bellewstown were 6 points to the good.

It would be unfair to mention specific players and apart from the early jitters and the slow start, this was a very good performance from the whole squad with plenty of excellent  teamwork as the ball was  worked defence to attack. Even though coach Brian Butler emptied his bench everybody, including the players that came in, worked extremely hard and chased down and harried every ball to ensure that victory was theirs.  

 After the game Jim Mullery presented the Shield to captain Cian ‘Rusty’ Kelly.


Jack Beggy, Ben Lanigan, Finn Hartford, Ryan Touhy, Ali Erdogan, Jamie Crosby (0-1); Cian Kelly(0-2) Joe Corduff(0-2) Aodhan Gallagher (2-0) Conor Butler (0-1) Robert Caffrey, Morgan Browne(0-2), Niall Collins (2-0);

Subs Daire Moore(1-1) AJ O’Brien(0-01), Jamie O’Leary, Gary Reddy, Alex Cudden