Match Reports‎ > ‎

Duleek Bellewstown capture Minor League Division 4 Title.

posted 26 May 2013, 02:02 by Unknown user



Duleek Bellewstown 2-7 St Peter’s Dunboyne 1-8

Overcoming a 4 point half time deficit Duleek Bellewstown’s minors produced a dramatic last 5 minutes to land the Division 4 league title in Stamullen on Saturday evening. Corner forward Stephen Moore was the toast of his teammates when he fired his second goal of the night to put the team in front for the first time of the match with less than two minutes left. This was followed almost immediately by a marvellous long range point by Darren Heeney to stretch the lead and despite a late point from Dunboyne the score at the final whistle was Duleek Bellewstown 2-7 St Peter’s Dunboyne 1-8.

Playing against the wind Duleek Bellewstown found themselves 1 point down after just 20 seconds when Killian Smyth pointed for Dunboyne.  Duleek Bellewstown then took the game to their opponents and but for wayward shooting would have been in front; Their only reward was a pointed free from Darren Heeney after 8 minutes.

Dunboyne were playing the more direct style and went  in front when midfielder Cathal Meehan pointed their second on 11 minutes;  He followed this up with 2 further points and Dunboyne were 4 points to the good when Meehan again and Conor Finn pointed on 15 minutes.  Duleek Bellewstown continued to press but over-elaboration and the tricky wind frustrated their scoring efforts. As the half entered the last minute Ryan Cooney broke though the centre and landed a point. Then things got decidedly worse when they were reduced to 12 when they lost Robin Clarke to a straight red card and it looked even bleaker when Dunboyne number 10 David McEntee pointed with the last kick of the half to leave the green and gold lads 6 points to 2 down at the break.

With the wind at their back a good start to the second half was needed and that was achieved  with a goal from Stephen Moore when he followed up on a shot from Eoin Morris which had been parried by the Dunboyne defence and drove to the net. Darren Heeney followed up with a point to draw the teams level after 7 minutes of the half; Dunboyne then began to utilise their spare man to good effect and points from Dean Quinn and a goal from Conor Finn restored the 4 point advantage. Good work down the right wing saw Stephen Lynch volley over the bar to reduce the deficit but this was immediately followed by another Quinn point restoring their 4 point advantage as the game entered the final quarter.

The tactic of getting early ball into Darren Heeney began to yield dividends and in the 20th minute the game was down to a single score when Heeney converted a point. The half back line of Stephen Lynch, James Burke and Ciaran Gogarty were picking up possession and driving forward but scores were hard to come by as  Dunboyne played their spare man in front of Heeney to pick up loose ball. But Duleek Bellewstown kept to their game plan and a further point from Heeney in the 25th minute reduced the deficit to two points.  The midfeld duo of the two Shanes, Crosby and Townley worked tirelessly cutting off the supply to the Dunboyne forward line and this effort was rewarded in the 28th minute when, following a long ball over the top from Stephen Lynch,  Stephen Moore outpaced his marker to slide the ball to the Dunboyne net to put his team in the lead for the first time.  As the game entered injury time Heeney followed up with that marvellous point from the left wing to leave Dunboyne needing a goal to claim the title.  They could only manage a point and when the final whistle went there was unrestrained joy on the Duleek Bellewstown bench.     

Overall this was an outstanding ‘team’ performance with everyone contributing to the win; Despite playing the second half a man short everybody upped their game to ensure victory was achieved.  

Following the game Jim Mullery presented the shield to captain Ryan Cooney.

Duleek Bellewstown

Dylan Moore, Karl Brannigan, Paddy Walsh, Stephen Lynch(0-1), Ryan Cooney(0-1), Ciaran Gogarty, Shane Townley, Shane Crosby, James Burke, Darren Heeney((0-5), Owen Morris, Robin Clarke, Stephen Moore (2-0)

Subs Mathew Brannigan for Owen Morris, Jack Fitzpatrick for Paddy Walsh, Gareth Reilly, Darren Arnold, Alan O’Brien, Peter Reilly,

St Peters Dunboyne

David Fitzgerald, Philip Watters, Shane Weston, Mark Daly, Sean O’Neill, Ronan Fitzmaurice, Cathal Meehan(0-3), Ronan Jones, Killian Smyth(0-1), David McEntee(0-1), Calvin McMahon, John O’Hora, Conor Finn(1-1)

Subs: Eamonn Gilligan, Dean Quinn(0-3), Paddy Lee, Alex Yourell, Robbie Comer, John Finnerty,  John Finlay, Andrew Hymerick, Simon Clarke, Craig Doyle